Monday, 18 March 2013

What to do if you're feeling down / alone / worthless....

My last post was a bit of a downer, but today I came across this story.  Quite frankly I think this girl is amazing, inspiring and just reading the news article (caution Daily Mail link, but it's a good story!), reading her own website and chatting to Jodi on twitter... I am smiling like a loon.  Just proof that not everyone is bad.  Bad things happen, but it's how we deal with them that counts- life is not measure by seconds lived, but by the path we tread and the hearts we touch along the way.
Photo from Jodi's Site http://onemillionlovelyletters.com/

If you are feeling down, alone, worthless then dont be.  People can only put you down if you let them.  Jodi's website http://onemillionlovelyletters.com is a portal of loveliness.  She used to leave notes for strangers in library books, bus seats- anywhere- just to let people know that they are important and lovely.  Then, at 23, Jodi was struck down with illness after a tick bit her- a rare reaction but one that lead to her being partially paralysed with a stroke.  Normally a poet, she lost her ability to hold a pen- but has spent hours retraining her body (and brain) to be able to do some of the things she could before her illness.  She still has daily battles BUT has used her time to write letters to strangers who need a boost.  These letters are beautiful in word and design- something to physically and emotionally brighten the days of those who are having a lonely or vulnerable time.

Jodi says "In the UK alone there are 62,641,000 people, in the whole wide world there are 7,038,044,500. The average person has 3 close friends and 19 “mates” so take that off and you are still left with seven billion thirty-eight million forty-four thousand four hundred and seventy eight strangers.  And all of those strangers have at least one day where they could use a little lift."
Letter as featured on http://onemillionlovelyletters.com/letters/


So if you are very down or alone and need one of Jodi's beautiful letters to give you strength though your tough time then visit http://onemillionlovelyletters.com and follow the instructions.  I'm sure Jodi would appreciate donations of stamps but this is just something I thought of as I am sure she is inundated with requests for letters from all over the word.  If she wont accept stamps or money for stamps then why not make a donation of the cost of a stamp to a charity of Jodi's choice as a thank you?  Just a thought!  Let's kill the world kindness one bit at a time :)

                                                                   
  I hope this has brightened up your day!  
                                                                   

What things make you happy?  I love the spring sunshine.  I also saw some beautiful purple and yellow crocuses today which made me smile.  Please share your happy thoughts below!


3 comments:

  1. I have a new freind in my neighborhood in santiago de Chile, it is a female cat called Duchesse, she likes me and has no fear to come inside my house and let me pet her. I think she is looking for a boyfreind so since i am not a male cat I told her she should look for one so she left at that moment, but i am expecting her to come again to say thanks for the advice in miau language of course. The rest of the animals are dogs which are always barking at me when they see me, this i really do not appreciate. So thanks to duchesse I feel more welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, this is such a lovely thing and just reading about it has made me all watery eyed. It just goes to show there are some amazing people on this planet of ours. I think a lot of us carry past hurts into new situations and are closed off emotionally, which can prevent us from meeting some amazing people. Imagine if we all loved openly with no fear of being hurt. What would the world be like then?

    Things which make me happy - waggy tailed dogs, stroking cats who meow loudly, cute babies, sunshine, polka dots, being driven around on sunny days, singing, dancing in a very dorky fashion, hugs, laughter, being wowed by nature, sunsets, living by the sea, looking at the stars. x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing heart warming story!! Jodi is truly inspirational women! This may sound strange but I've recently found myself thinking alot about how we live our lives. I used to live in my own crazy hectic bubble and had little time to think about anyone other than my friends and family but recently I have slowed down and opened my eyes to the wider world, I've realised how many people around us are struggling and how a simple act of kindness can make such great difference in boosting people. Its soo wonderful what Jodi is doing and I'm sure she has brought warmth and joy to so many people. Thanks for sharing this story and sharing the love! xx

    ReplyDelete

Messages make me smile! Please share some smiles with me! :)

Other posts you might like.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...